While at Salute 2014 I spotted a WWII Bulldozer made by Urban Construct, it was also a bargain at £8! The problem is that I don’t like to spend any money at Salute until I’ve seen at least 75% of the trade stands. The result is that the bulldozer I had my eye on sold before I was able to buy it…
A few days later the bulldozer arrived, unfortunately it was a miscast, the dozer blade was bent and some of the detail was missing, the downside of resin!!
Feeling slightly deflated I found myself with 3 options, 1) Bin it, 2) Make the best of it, 3) Break out the tools and the plasticard! Option 3 it was.
Stage 1: Clean Up
Stage 2: Basic Build
Having stripped back everything from the Dozer except for the tracks the next stage was to remake the Dozer, this was done by cutting section of 1mm plasticard, these formed the various hull sections, this would also result in me being able to adjust some of the bodywork angles.
With all the sections cut they were glued on and the gaps filled with green stuff, the whole model was then sanded to try to give smooth lines and finishes. At this point the tracks also had green stuff added to fix some damaged areas.
The addition of the plasticard also made the dozer a bit more substantial as a model, some of the sections also had double layers of plasticard, especially around the top section of the hull. The edges of the hull in places were also covered with some 90 degree section of plasticard to add extra detail.
Stage 3: Dozerblade and Details
All Bulldozers needs a good dozerblade, this one is no exception. In this case it’s lifted directly from the Imperial Guard tank upgrade sprue and was cut down to fit the front of the Dozer, it was then pinned to hold it in place and greenstuff used to fill the joins.
Once the dozerblade was sorted it was time to add additional details, the first thing wastwo exhausts, these were made from plastic tubing, one section stuck inside the other, they were then mounted to the front with a dad of plastic glue. I then added a selection of bits from the tank upgrade sprue such as a spade, spotlight (from a marine tank), antenna and some Imperial Eagles. I also added some rivets, these were cut from 1mm plastic tubing and fixed with plastic glue.
The last thing added was a Heavy Stubber, again this was from the tank upgrade sprue and filed so it sits flat on the front of the Dozer. By this point the Bulldozer was more plasticard and greenstuff than it was resin!
The last part of the build phase was the addition on grey pumice to the tracks and the bottom of the dozerbalde, this would help with the weather later as well as hiding some of the damage to the tracks.
Stage 4: Painting
The Dozer was sprayed black before being given a basecoat of Lifecolor USA Grey, I was the given a number of layers of drybrushing first with USA Grey, then with Vallejo (Game Colour) Cold and Stonewall Grey mixed in to add detail.
Once the grey was done the tracks were next, these were done in Vallejo Tin first, black washed, then drybrushed with Tin followed by a mix of Tin and Oily Steel and then pure Oily Steel. The mud was then painted with Scorched Brown and then drybrushed and stippled with a mix of this, Earth and Splinter Blotches (Vallejo Panzer Aces). The layers of Scorched Brown, Earth and Splinter Blotches were then used to weather around the tracks as well as the dozerblade.
The detail was picked out before final weathering was done. This was achieved by light drybrushes where mud would naturally gather and then small flecks of silver being added where paint would chip. Heavily watered down Splinter Blotches was also run in areas to mimic oil and dirty water marks. Oily Steel was also stippled onto the dozerblade to show where the paint had worn.
The only thing left now is to sort out the rules so I can use it in a game with my Imperial Guard!Imperial Guard Bulldozer: Build Guide While at Salute 2014 I spotted a WWII Bulldozer made by Urban Construct, it was also a bargain at £8!